Integral to the Economy
Cooperatives: an Integral Part of the American Economy
- The majority of our country’s 2 million farmers are members of the 2,186 farmer-owned cooperatives. They provide over 136,000 full-time jobs and 55,000 part-time/seasonal jobs nationally. [USDA Rural Development Cooperative Statistics 2013]
- These farmer owned cooperatives have a net business volume of over $209 billion annually. [USDA Rural Development Cooperative Statistics 2013]
- Over 6,700 credit unions provide financial services to 97 million U.S. consumers.
- More than 900 rural electric co-ops deliver electricity to more than 42 million people in 47 states. This makes up 42% of the nation’s electric distribution lines and covers 75% of our country’s land mass (NRECA Facts & Figures 2014)
- About 1.2 million rural Americans in 31 states are served by the 260 telephone cooperatives (NTCA Facts, 2014)